A Travellerspoint blog

John's Funeral

2 °C

My old Friend John Storrie sadly passed away on February 8th. Another victim of lung cancer. It was his wish to have a bike escort to the church. So how could I refuse?

Google maps worked it out to be 156 miles each way. We'll see how accurate that is.

I set off around 10am and arrived at John's house just after 1pm, after stopping on the A40 near Standlake for petrol at a Tesco Extra store.

It was pretty cold. Even the wintery sun at the pitstop warned by hands. On the way up I wore the old all leather Belstaff gloves. By about halfway my fingertips were frozen.

In the end there were five bikes at John's. He had asked that the order was to be Kettles, then other 2-stroke Suzukis, other Suzuki made bikes, then Aprilias, Triumphs, HD and then others.

Luckily there was a Kettle ridden by a local guy Brent, a Suzuki ridden by Old SOC Sandy. Then Old SOCs Mark Powell and me on Triumphs and lastly John Carr from the SOC. We were joined by more former SOC members Tony Taylor, Phil HIngert and Stuart james and his wife.

The ceremony was really good. The vicar knew John and was also a biker. Instead of hymns we had two country music hits that John liked. The vicar asked for a show of hands from biker friends of John. About 75% of the congregation! I knew a few from sight talked to more Old SOC former SOC members and committee members. A good turnout.

And then for his last laugh on us. The music at the end as the coffin was carried out to the graveyard was Frank Ifield - She Taught Me to Yodel. See links!

He said no one could leave without yodelling. We had a go. Pretty pathetic but the music was playing to hide our sad attempts.

After the burial I decided to make my apologies as I had a three hour ride home, and head off and miss the wake.

I set TomTom for home. In effect the same way as I went. I started with the Belstaffs and as it was dry and sunny I expected to be a little warmer. Wrong.

I stopped for a pee, coffee and a warm-up at Beaconsfield Services before the challenge that is the M25. I changed gloves to the Alpine Stars. They are better fitting around the wrist but no warmer in the near near freezing conditions of riding at 70mph.

In the morning the M25 was really free running. By 4.30pm looking ahead towards the M40 junction I could see M25 it was four or five solid lanes. This was mostly the same until the M23. About 20 miles plus.

I was able to filter for some of it. Eventually arriving home at 6.25pm. With the stop it was just over three and a half hours. Given the heavy traffic not bad.



Posted by InvictaMoto 18:40 Archived in United Kingdom Tagged motorcycling

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.